Thursday, September 13, 2012

In Defense of Franzia

I would like to step forward to defend Franzia boxed wine. For about 18 dollars you can get 5 liters of wine which amounts to 6.5 bottles at around 3 dollars a bottle (if my math is correct and it's possible that it is not because I'm on my way to being drunk).

I was re-watching Shameless season 2 the other night (if I'm perfectly honest, it's almost like watching it for the first time because I was under the influence when I initially saw it) and I noticed Fiona and Vi were daytime drinking and having FRANZIA out of plastic tumblers. My first thought was, hell yeah! I totally do this! My second thought: Okay, wait- You're trying to say people ONLY drink Franzia if they're poor and couldn't possibly afford anything else?

Franzia is a very decent alcoholic beverage to have while on a diet and as I said, it's dirt cheap.

From Franzia.com:
Wine - Per 5 ounce servingCarbs (gm)*Calories (gm)*Sodium (gm)*Sugar (gm)*Fat (gm)*Protein (gm)*
Red Wines
Cabernet Sauvignon51057100
Merlot51057100
Chianti5959200
Burgundy(1)51009200
Chillable Red(1)101058700
Fruity Red Sangria(1)111105800
Shiraz(1)511081000
Blush Wines
White Zinfandel510511500
White Merlot511010400
Sunset Blush(1)7957500
White Grenache810512500
White Wines
Chardonnay51057100
Chablis51008200
Refreshing White(1)6908300
Rhine611010500
Crisp White(1)81058500
(1) Table Wine with Natural Flavors *Sulfite maximum is 200 mg/L for all types © 2008 Franzia Winery, Ripon, CA

Clearly, some of the varieties have a shitload of sugar in them. Run far, far away from the Shiraz or the Fruity Red Sangria. 10 grams of sugar? Yikes.

However: The Cabernet Sauvignon, the Merlot, and the Chardonnay have only ONE gram of sugar per 5 oz. serving and just 5 carbs. The Chardonnay is also 13% alcohol by volume and the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are both 12.5%.

I used to be a beer girl, but that stuff might as well be liquid bread. A 12 oz. Red Stripe has 153 calories & 14 grams of carbs. Even the low calorie beers suck. Beck's light, for example, has just 64 calories and 3.9 g carbs, but it's also less than 3.0% alcohol. Which means you'd have to drink approximately fifty bajillion of them to get a buzz.

I really shouldn't be drinking on a diet, but since I'm going to, Franzia is a pretty decent option. Some of the boxes recommend that you chill it, but if you don't have time I definitely recommend just pouring it over ice because that's how classy bitches do it.

http://www.franzia.com/faq-nutrition.shtml
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/red-stripe/jamaican-ale-beer
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32/22869

10 comments:

  1. Yes! I love the Merlot, even room temperature it's incredibly tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my box of Rhine in my file cabinet (working from home) and just bring up my glass of ice. Nobody needs to know.....;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read everything you write. Are you married?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read everything you write. Are you married?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL well you have a husband offer, need a new best friend too by chance?
    'Sips wine'i was just trying to see what the alcohol content on this fruity sangria was, my local store had it on closeout @ $6.49 a box figured for that price I could try it, it's actually pretty good! Nice switch up from my nightly pinot grigio and a quarter the price (which, in my world, only means I'll get 4x as much not save any actual moola haha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Thanks for the info! I've been researching beer what has GMOs what is really a chemical drink etc and decided to look up info on my box of Franzia Cabernet Sauvignon and clicked on your link...
    Again.. THANKS... NEEDED THE HUMOR AS WELL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my Franzia. Thank you for such an enlightening set of very important education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried all franzia wines. To me francia Chardonnay is the best. Please bring it to all the Walmart stores. It is also healthier because of the lower sugar content. Thank you

      Delete