Friday, September 7, 2012

Ways to Fight Chocolate Cravings



Chocolate cravings can be BRUTAL. I get bad ones, but I don’t even think mine really compare to a lot of people’s. Chocolate in general, if we’re talking about bars/m&ms/ice cream/etc. can be a horrible calorie sink. Some stats:


  • (80 calories/8 grams of sugar) in 1 fun-sized Snickers (and personally I don’t know why they call it the “fun” size when it’s like an inch long, but whatever)
  • (220 calories/19 g sugar) in a Rich Dark Chocolate Dove Bar
  • (200 calories/23 g sugar) in 9 Milk Chocolate Hershey’s Kisses  

One of the ways I nip chocolate cravings in the bud is with unsweetened cocoa powder. Unsweetened cocoa powder is cheap, has only 10 calories per table spoon, and just 1.5 grams of fat. It’s also a good antioxidant, which is awesome.


One recipe I’ve come up with is sort of a chocolate faux-milkshake:

I take about a cup of skim milk, a big handful of ice cubes, 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and 2 packets of Equal (or whatever artificial sweetener you prefer) and blend it all up until it’s smooth. That’s it.

You can kind of play with the ingredient amounts to your preference, but the cup of milk (90 cals) and the cocoa powder (40) adds up to 130 calories in all. It’s sweet, cold, and after I eat this I usually feel all chocolated-out and full from the liquid/protein in the milk. You could try just having a fun-sized candy bar and be done with it for fewer calories, I just never feel satisfied after only one. Maybe it’s because candy bars are generally more sugar and fat than actual chocolate?

No comments:

Post a Comment